Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

The Power of a Smile


By Rick Blumenberg / @rickblumenberg 

Have you ever noticed the power of a smile? A stranger who smiles at you or one you greet with a smile becomes, at least for a moment, a friend and neighbor. If the situation is tense, a smile relieves the tension and replaces it with companionship.

As far as I can tell, smiling is a universal language understood in every culture. I read once about a tribe of people who never smiled because showing your teeth was a sign of anger and ferocity, but I’ve never met anyone who felt that way and I’m not sure such a people really exist.

Here is a poem I wrote that tells how I feel about the power of a smile.

The Power of a Smile
  By Rick Blumenberg

What is a smile but a magic carpet?
Lifting a broken heart from crevices of loneliness
To a high place in the sun!

What is a smile but a mountain of strength?
Supporting the weak
And making them strong

But where shall I see a smile?
Where, but in your eyes
And on your face and with your lips!

And for whom do I beg the smile?
For whom, but the weary, and forsaken
And the stranger who is in your midst.

I'm Rick Blumenberg . . . and that's My View from Tanner Creek.
 

No comments: