Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reading is the Key

by Rick Blumenberg / @RickBlumenberg
One day that stands out in my memory is the first time I went to a library. I’m not sure how old I was, perhaps second or third grade. My parents both loved to read and they not only made sure we had an education, but passed the love of reading to all their children. Partly because it was in the days before television we were all avid readers as soon as we learned.
We had a library in our home. It wasn’t large as I think of it now, but it was significant for a family of our economic level. We lived out in the country in Southeast Missouri and there was a library in nearby Charleston, the county seat. The first time I remember going to that library I was astounded that so many books were all in one place and that we could take them home to read for ourselves! To me it was one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
The thing I like best about books, magazines and newspapers is that with the ability to read one can literally travel the globe and visit places we could never otherwise go because of time and cost and other such mundane limitations.
It was probably with this in mind that I wrote the simple poem below. I call it
The Key
By Rick Blumenberg
Read my child
     And none can make you poor
For reading books shall be your key
     To the strong unyielding door.
With a book and time to read it
     The whole earth you can roam,
And where others cannot travel
     You will be at home.
Read my child
     And travel far upon the deep,
Walk abroad on distant shores
     While others are asleep!
A book shall be your barque
     To sail the distant seas
And reading be your shining wing
     To soar upon the breeze.

I'm Rick Blumenberg and that's 
My View from Tanner Creek.
    

No comments: