Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

God Bless the Farmers!


We live in Berrien County, Michigan, where the primary economic activity is agriculture. Apples, peaches, cherries, grapes, and many other fruits, plus almost every vegetable imaginable, and some of the most beautiful flowers you have ever seen are all grown here by hard-working men and women on the beautiful rolling hills of Berrien County.

This evening Carol and I drove home on the St Joseph Valley Parkway and I saw two pickups and a tractor out in a field working with their lights on. The sun had already set, and it was still twilight, but dark enough they needed pickup truck headlights to finish their long day’s work. It reminded me of my growing up days on the farm. I remember more than a few days like that, when we worked hard and long to get the work done and then would go home for a late supper, quick bath and longed for bed, then get up the next day and do it all again.

Farmers, orchardists, and vine-growers make our world a wonderful place to live. All around the globe they work in plots of one acre or less, all the way up to plantations with thousands of acres. We all eat well because of what they do. We drink marvelous juices and other drinks, and we enjoy the flowers they grow. Thank God for farmers!

As we passed those folks working out in the gathering darkness, I said a prayer of thanksgiving for them and asked God’s blessing on them and all agricultural workers around the globe.

It always amazes me, but it also excites me to think that in that brief moment of prayer, I was able to unleash blessings beyond anything I could comprehend. I have no idea how many farmers and agricultural workers there are in the world, but God does. He knows each one personally—knows them by name. He gave us this great gift of prayer that enables us to work together with God to be a blessing to each one even though we cannot even comprehend how many there are. God bless the farmers! 
 
I'm Rick Blumenberg . . . and that's My View from Tanner Creek.
    

No comments: